MegaTC

      13.8.2005 I though that I will not make any bigger TC because I don't have enough space for it. But once I had a walk I found laying 1,5 m long piece of nice 160mm PVC pipe so I decided to pick it up and make a mega TC ;). I cut the pipe to be 92 cm long (let the h/d ratio is 6:1) and though about a wire that I would wind on it. Such a big pipe would need a kilometer of wire or more. I had only some remaining 0,2mm wire that I used on BigTC but it was too short. I think that some 0,35 - 0,5mm wire would be optimal. Fortunately upcoming radio hamfest in Holice will be soon so I hope I will buy some wire there. And really I got some cheap spool of 0,3mm wire there. As usually I used my improvised winding machine made of a driller powered by variac and some support for holding the pipe. But during the winding I got a bad surprise - when I wound about 1/3 of pipe the wire had broken because somebody made a bad joke and put a layer of sticky tape inside the spool. Because I had the spool placed behind my back I didn't see it on time and didn't stop the machine. I'm a perfectionist little bit so I didn't accept any inhomogeneity in the winding so I rather removed it and started again. But when I wound off entire spool I had covered only 2/3 of my pipe - that damned 1/3 of wire I threw away was missing now! This pissed me off...

      1.10.2005 I was thinking if I should leave the winding as is and cut the pipe or unwound it and start again. I wanted to keep original design so I decided to do it again. I had a luck and bought quite big spool of 0,355mm enameled wire. I guess there was about 3 km of wire on it so I could wound this pipe twice. New winding process was done without problems and I wound entire pipe. Then I varnished the secondary coil by acrylic spray as usual I did on other coils. Here are some photos of the tiring winding process:

preparing pipe for winding winding machine 0,3mm Cul wire and variac 1/3 left unwounded :( so put down and start again wounded and varnished secondary

      2.3.2006 New secondary coil was idling in a pantry for some time because I didn't have a free time and I couldn't get some piece of bigger pipe for primary coil. Then I finally got a piece of 250mm PVC pipe from my friend. Maybe 300mm would be better but one meter of such pipe costs about 600 CZK. I wound 37 turns of insulated wire with 4 mm2 profile as a primary winding on the pipe and 17 turns of 0,5mm insulated wire above the primary winding as a feedback coil. I plan to use this primary coil for VTTC powered by 1 or 2 GU-81M tubes. More details about windings you can see here.
      Because of higher weight of these coils I made the base board of 18mm chipboard instead of my favorite plexiglass. To make a manipulation with MegaTC easier I mounted 4 small wheels on the bottom side of the base board. Primary and secondary coils are not mounted in a hard way but can be removed easily. This will be good for transports or when I will need to replace primary coil accommodated for different kind of driver.

megaTC drawing      MegaTC photo

I calculated that resonant frequency of the secondary coil is 107 kHz and then measured 120 kHz. Currently I missing a suitable resonant capacitor for primary tuned circuit. It should be ~ 7 nF / 10 kVAC or some suitable smaller capacitors that I could wire into a MMC. I hope that I will have a luck and buy them somewhere. I'm forward to the first light. I'm curious about spark length compared to my previous smaller TCs at the same input power.



Back

updated at 22:58; 24.6.2009

„Kdo se umí smát sám sobě, má právo smát se smát všemu ostatnímu, co mu k smíchu připadá.“ Jan Werich